Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

I am one of those people who loves making New Year's resolutions. The New Year feels like the perfect time for a fresh start with new goals, new hopes, new possibilities. Then I heard on the radio this morning that most people only follow through with theirs for about two weeks before going back to business as usual. Bummer.

So, is it even worth making my list of resolutions? I think so. How can you succeed if you never try, right? You have to audition to get the part. You have to submit a resume to get the job. Enough with the defeatist attitudes out there! One that note, here goes...

1. Read through the Bible this year.
Thanks to my sister, I found this great reading plan called "Read Through the Bible Program for Slackers and Shirkers." Not only is the title awesome, but the plan has just enough flexibility mixed with the structure for my busy life.

2. No more new clothes this year
Really. I have a shopping problem. I justify it by saying that I get everything off of the sales racks. But, I have plenty of clothes. My senior girls (I'm a teacher) informed me that I haven't worn the same outfit to school twice this year (a little weird that they're keeping track, I thought). To which I replied that I mix and match a lot...I didn't mention that I have tons of clothes and I've been keeping track too.

3. Pay off debt.
Succeeding in #2 will help with this one. I need to stop living so much in the present and try a little harder to think toward future dreams. I really want to have kids some day, but Joel and I need to pay off school and car loans first. Especially if we're going to try to live on a teacher's salary.

4. Start a blog.
Check.

And, of course, the proverbial...
5. Lose weight.
Okay, this is an every year resolution. This is the one that makes the 2-week statistic so believable. I did buy an elliptical machine last year. Or was it two years ago? Oh boy.

I'll keep you posted. (If I follow through with #4, that is.)

No comments:

Post a Comment