Saturday, January 8, 2011

On Complaining

I teach 12th grade English and we are now entering the homestretch. Senior-itis has fully kicked in, and even the students who were once outwardly engaged in class have started to verbalize their discontent. Just two days ago, I was explaining an assignment and the cacophony of complaining began. From the front row, I heard, "This sucks! I hate peer editing!" Another student in the back agreed, "This is our last semester. Can't we just have a break?" Still another turned to a friend and asked, "How many days until we're out of here?" Even those who were polite enough not to say anything rolled their eyes, sighed audibly, or began to tune me out.

My reaction to these complaints, depending on the day, ranges from mild irritation to outright anger. I understand that they are high school students who are pretty self-focused and short-sighted, but can't they at least acknowledge that the assignments (although not pleasurable) are beneficial? Is it possible that, instead of being a maniacal sadist who takes great delight in inflicting literary pain upon them, I actually care deeply for them and have the whole curriculum planned for their greater good? How dense can they be?!?

But, then I started thinking about my own heart.

I am often, like my students, self-focused and short-sighted toward God.

I cry, "This sucks! I hate moving and starting over!" Just this summer, I screamed this prayer to God on a drive home after officially resigning from my familiar, secure teaching job.

I cry, "Why can't you let things be comfortable and easy just this once?" Sometimes I'm tired of being in a spiritual battle, warring against the lies and temptations of the world and wrestling between obeying the Spirit or my persistent, sinful flesh.

I cry, "How long until I get my way, Lord?" Deep down, I think I believe that God could use a few pointers. If He'd just take my advice and let me take the reins for a bit, the world would be a better place...especially my world.

Even when my prayers are not so overtly selfish, I grumble in my heart and roll my spiritual eyes, sighing, you want me to learn that again, Lord?

I can be just as dense as my students. God, the Creator of the universe and Perfect Teacher, explicitly tells us that He has a master plan, designed for our ultimate good. ("For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." ~Jeremiah 29:11). He tells us that he uses every 'assignment,' even the unpleasant ones, for our benefit. (Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. ~James 1:2-4).

Thankfully, God is a patient teacher, slow to anger and abounding in love. Someday I will understand the purpose of each lesson. But, in the meantime, I'm learning to trust that He is both sovereign and good, so I can rejoice (rather than complain) in all circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment