Monday, January 3, 2011

Settlers of Sanctification

Joel and I bought the game "Settlers of Catan" for my sister, Anna, this Christmas. And it was certainly a gift that kept on giving. I heard the wonders of "Settlers" praised when I was in college, but never played. The idea of arguing about wheat and sheep (or is it grain and wool?) never really appealed to me before...oh, how quickly that changed. My family must have played fifteen games in the week we were together; we even ordered the expansion pack for 5-6 players so we could all play at once.
The primary thing that I discovered is that "Settlers" is not really about strategy or economics or getting to ten points; it's about exposing sin...

Sin 1: Perfectionism and unrealistic expectations
I think there should be a healthy amount of banter in any good "Settlers" game. I mean, part of the strategy is maintaining good PR with the other players for optimal trading partnerships while casting doubt on the other players in order to inhibit their trading potential. But, there is also a fine line between healthy banter and risking real relational havoc. Well, during the very first family game, in the heat of mutual razzing and teasing, my sister casually turned and said, "hey, no need to get personal." I burst into tears. A nerve was hit. Suddenly I was confronted with an area of sin in my heart: I wanted to (for once) have a perfect, hiccup-less vacation where I didn't mess up or let anyone down and I had already blown it on day 1. Instead of trusting Christ's righteousness (in place of my own imperfection) and forgiveness (for when, not if, performance fell short of expectations), I wanted to be my own savior and redeem relationships myself. But, "Settlers" quickly showed me that perfection is not possible and my only hope for healthy relationships is the Cross.

Sin 2: Selfishness
In my family, we play games to win. We are all competitive (to the tune of some games, like "Sorry," being banned from family game night in my childhood). I don't think being competitive is a sin. However, I sometimes found my blood starting to boil if someone took my hard-earned longest road card or a 4 was rolled again (even though it is statistically improbable) and my dad drew another three resources. I wanted to totally give up and disengage once winning was impossible. I cared more about my own success than building relationships and just spending quality time together. Upon reflection, I think this applies to more than just "Catan." How often do I grumble when others enjoy success or are recognized for their giftedness instead of truly rejoicing with them as members in the body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:26)?

Sin 3: Is stupidity a sin?
I don't know if this counts as a sin, but I definitely should have declined when asked to play a few times. I knew I was too tired. I knew I needed space. I heard that little voice warning me that playing another game of "Settlers," fun as it may be, was not wise. But I played anyway...and probably experienced one of the aforementioned sins. How often do I do this with the Holy Spirit in real areas of sin? I hear His voice prompting me toward wisdom, but I walk brashly into temptation thinking I'll be the exception to the rule. Stupid.

Thank God that He uses silly things like "Settlers of Catan" to remind me that I'm a work in progress and that He is slowly sanctifying me day by day.

1 comment:

  1. Family fun gone wild. Love you, Ellen. Welcome to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete